The big day for National census is approaching in less than a day on March 15th. Just to make a note, the last census was held in 1988 and this year’s census is going to be the biggest in Pakistan’s history. Minister of State for Information Maryam Aurangzeb made this announcement during a press conference alongside Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) Director General Major General Asif Ghafoor and Chief Census Commissioner Asif Bajwa.
Following points were discussed in the press conference:
- PKR 18.5 billion had been allocated for the census.
- Census will be conducted in two phases during 2 months period.
- Phase 1: The first phase will begin in March 15th and will end on April 15
- Phase 2: Phase 2 will begin after 10 days and will start from April 25th and end on 25th May.
- The deputy commissioners will lead their respective districts.
- The assistant commissioners would be heading individual Tehsils.
- 118,918 trained personnel and 200,000 military enumerators will conduct the numeration exercise.
- DG ISPR has clearly stated that provision of wrong information would result in 6 months jail with a fine of Rs. 50,000.
- The transgender and physically disabled will be profiled separately during the census.
- An awareness campaign has been launched to inform the masses regarding the procedure.
- Geographic Information System is going to be used for profiling on the basis of demographics.
- Helpline for registering a complaint or to provide information: 0800-57574.
- Each enumerator will be accompanied by a soldier.
- Verification ofthe information provided by people will be done by National Database and Registration Authority.
- All the information regarding census 2017 has been published on http://www.pbscensus.gov.pk/
- The census form copy has been placed on http://www.pbscensus.gov.pk/content/census-forms for the people with access to internet in order to get an idea regarding the information that is to be filled in the form.