How to Get a VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility? A VA loan is a type of mortgage loan offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to eligible veterans and their families. To qualify for a VA loan, you must have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA. A COE verifies your eligibility for a VA loan and tells your lender how much of your loan entitlement you have remaining.
How to Get a VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility – Who is Eligible for a VA Loan COE?
To be eligible for a VA loan COE, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a veteran who served at least 90 days on active duty during wartime or 181 days during peacetime.
- Be a current service member who has served at least 90 days on active duty.
- Be a member of the National Guard or Reserves who has served at least 6 years and has been activated for at least 180 days, or who has served at least 90 days during wartime.
- Be the surviving spouse of a veteran who died while on active duty or from service-connected disabilities.
How to Get a VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility – How to Apply
There are three ways to apply for a VA loan COE:
- Online: You can apply for a COE online through the VA’s website.
- By Mail: You can mail a completed VA Form 26-1880 to the VA regional loan center for your state.
- Through Your Lender: Some lenders can request a COE on your behalf.
How to Get a VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility – What to Include in Your Application
Your application for a VA loan COE must include the following information:
- Your name and contact information
- Your military service information, including your dates of service, branch of service, and service number
- A copy of your DD-214 or other discharge form
- Your spouse’s information, if applicable
How to Get a VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility – How Long Does it Take to Process an Application?
It typically takes 2-3 weeks to process an application for a VA loan COE. If the VA needs more information from you, it may take longer.
What is the Difference Between an Automatic COE and a Manual COE?
An automatic COE is issued immediately if the VA has all of the information it needs to verify your eligibility. A manual COE is issued if the VA needs more information from you.
How to Get a VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility – How Long is a VA Loan COE Valid?
A VA loan COE is valid for one year from the date of issue.
How to Get a VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility – What Happens if I Lose My VA Loan COE?
If you lose your VA loan COE, you can request a replacement copy online, by mail, or through your lender.
Tips for Getting a VA Loan COE
Here are a few tips for getting a VA loan COE:
- Start the application process as early as possible.
- Gather all of your required documents before you start the application.
- Be accurate and complete when filling out your application.
- Respond promptly to any requests for additional information from the VA.
You can obtain a VA loan COE easily by completing the process online, by mail, or through your lender. With a little planning and preparation, you can have your COE in hand and be on your way to buying a home with a VA loan.